New York

LA Police Officers Shot in Confrontation With Parolee


Three Los Angeles Police Department officers were hospitalized Wednesday night after they were shot during a confrontation with an armed parolee outside an apartment building in Lincoln Heights. 

All three are expected to survive what the LAPD described in a tweet as serious injuries. Chief Michel Moore said their conditions are stable.

The three were alert and Mayor Karen Bass said she had a conversation with two of them at the hospital and they asked her about colleagues who were looking for the suspect.

“They weren’t concerned about themselves,” she said at a news conference.

“Our hearts go out to them for their speedy recovery and also for the trauma that their families are facing right now,” Bass said.

Three officers were injured, and a citywide tactical alert has been issued, after a man shot at officers in Lincoln Heights.

Officers were looking for a parolee at around 4 p.m. following a violation of parole rules and in connection with an extortion investigation, authorities said. Details about the investigation were not immediately available.

When they found him he was barricaded in a shed and refused to obey commands to surrender, the department said. K-9 officers were called in to help and the officers used what police described as a gas “chemical agent” in another effort to force the man to surrender.

“Unfortunately, that suspect responded to that chemical agent by opening the shed and opening fire on the officers,” hitting three of them, Los Angeles Police Cmdr. Stacy Spell said.

The officers are members of the LAPD’s Metropolitan K-9 Unit. They returned fire, but it was not immediately clear whether the parolee was struck by gunfire.

A lengthy standoff followed the shooting in the community east of downtown Los Angeles, where officers told NBCLA the shooter was died. It was not immediately clear how the man died.

He was identified as 32-year-old Jonathan Magana, who law enforcement sources have said is a known gang member with a lengthy criminal record.

At least two officers were brought to a hospital after an incident in the Lincoln Heights area. 

The LAPD declared a citywide tactical alert as officers began swarming the area to find the accused gunman. A tactical alert is a preliminary step taken by authorities to mobilize personnel that includes the redistribution of on-duty individuals.

The standoff ended at about 9 p.m.

Details about the shooter’s identity were not immediately available.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Share this news on your Fb,Twitter and Whatsapp

File source

Times News Network:Latest News Headlines
Times News Network||Health||New York||USA News||Technology||World News

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button