Several dead in Kongsberg after man shoots people with bow and arrows near Oslo
Multiple people have been killed and others injured by a man who attacked them with a bow and arrows in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg, police say.
The suspect was apprehended after the attack on Wednesday night in the town, which is 50 miles south-west of the country’s capital, Oslo.
“The man has been apprehended … from the information we now have, this person carried out these actions alone,” said police chief, Øyvind Aas.
“Several people have been injured and several are dead.”
He added that there were “several crime scenes” but did not confirm the exact number of people killed or injured in the attack in the town of 28,000 residents.
Norway’s minister of justice and public security, Monica Maeland, has received updates on the attacks and was closely monitoring the situation, the ministry said.
Congresswoman Lauren Boebert uses Norway bow and arrow attack to argue against gun control
Congresswoman Lauren Boebert has used the Norway bow and arrow attack to argue against gun control in the United States.
Hours after at least five people were killed and two were injured in the attack, the second amendment advocate said it showed gun control laws would not prevent mass killings.
Ms Boebert said: “A man in Norway just killed a bunch of people with a bow and arrow. Norway has some of the strictest gun laws around, yet mass killings still occur. Liberals need to understand it is not the gun – it is the criminal who commits the act!”
Our reporter Justin Vallejo has the full story below:
Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 07:15
Police: Arrested Danish suspect giving detailed account
A 37-year-old Danish man has been arrested and charged with the killing of five people and injuring two others in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg in Norway on Wednesday night, police said.
“He is cooperating and is giving detailed statements regarding this event,” suspect’s defence lawyer Fredrik Neumann told public broadcaster NRK on Thursday.
An off-duty police officer who was at the location of the crime was among those injured as the attacker fired arrows at people while walking across different locations over more than half an hour, covering a “large area” of Kongsberg. Targets included a Coop Extra grocery store, the Aftenposten newspaper cited police as saying.
“The police are giving this information because of all the rumours on social media regarding people who are not linked to these very serious acts,” police said in a statement in which they gave the suspect’s nationality but did not reveal his identity.
The police have confirmed nothing about the motive of the attacks but said the suspect was believed to have been acting alone.
A woman living near the grocery store said she had heard alarms as she was walking home. “I saw a group of police officers, including one who held several arrows in his hand,” the woman, Marit Hoefle, told newspaper.
Investigators did not rule out considering the attacks an act of terrorism, and said they would release more detailed information later on Thursday.
They are also investigating if any other weapon was used in the attacks, but confirmed that a bow and arrow was used for most of the killings.
Images from one of the crime scenes showed an arrow stuck in the wood-panelling of a building.
Shweta Sharma14 October 2021 06:57
Eyewitness says attacker stood with arrows in a quiver
An eyewitness has told local outlet TV2 that she saw people running around and a woman taking cover, according to AFP news agency.
She said she saw a “man standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in his hand.”
“Afterwards, I saw people running for their lives. One of them was a woman holding a child by the hand,” the eyewitness said.
Shweta Sharma14 October 2021 05:06
Suspect ‘a 37-year-old Dane’
The suspect arrested over the killings is a 37-year-old Danish citizen who had been living in Kongsberg, police said, according to the NTB news agency.
The defence counsel of the alleged attacker said that the accused is cooperating with the police and explained in detail about what happened.
The attacker “acted alone” and there are several crime scenes in a large area as the perpetrator walked around during the attack, police said.
Shweta Sharma14 October 2021 04:41
At least five people have been killed and others injured by a man using a bow and arrows to carry out attacks in a Norwegian town, police have said.
Officers said a suspect had been detained following the incident in Kongsberg on Wednesday and that a probe was underway to establish whether the attack amounted to an act of terrorism.
“The man used a bow and arrow … for some of the attacks,” police chief Oeyvind Aas told reporters on Wednesday. Officers were investigating whether other weapons had also been used, he said.
Tom Ambrose has the details.
Joe Middleton14 October 2021 04:30
Swedish PM: My thoughts are with the victims and their loved ones
Joe Middleton14 October 2021 03:30
Jonas Gahr Store calls attack ‘cruel’ and ‘brutal’
New Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Store, who is expected to take office Thursday said: “What we have heard from Kongsberg tonight testifies that a cruel and brutal act has been committed.
“We still know little about what happened and what is behind it, but we know that several innocent people were killed and that several were injured.
“My thoughts and deepest sympathy are with those affected, their families, and with the police, the health workers who are now working full time to assist those who need help.”
Joe Middleton14 October 2021 02:30
Witness hears police shout ‘Put down your weapon!’
Sarkis Younan, who lives next to the Coop Extra store where the attack reportedly took place, told local media: “I was sitting and watching Squid Game when I suddenly saw and heard sirens.
“I thought it was in the TV series. Suddenly I heard the police screaming like hell: ‘Put down your weapon!’”
Joe Middleton14 October 2021 01:30
Mass killings rare in Norway
The country’s worst peacetime slaughter was on July 22, 2011, when right-wing extremist Anders Breivik set off a bomb in the capital of Oslo, killing eight people.
Then he headed to tiny Utoya Island, where he stalked the mostly teen members of the Labor Party’s youth wing and killed another 69 victims.
Breivik was sentenced to 21 years in prison, the maximum under Norwegian law, but his term can be extended as long as he’s considered a danger to society.
Joe Middleton14 October 2021 00:30
Pictures from the scene
Joe Middleton13 October 2021 23:40